Job Profile Summary
Grade F Responsible for providing comprehensive strategic and solution-focused legal guidance on complex Trading issues, demonstrating significant technical expertise, to assist BP in minimising its legal and reputational risks.Job Advert
Sitting within the bp trading & shipping (T&S) legal team in Singapore, this role will support bp’s Asia Pacific refining and products trading (T&S RPT) business and also have a specific emphasis on supporting bp’s Gas & Power trading international (GPTI) business in the Asia Pacific region.
bp’s T&S business trades energy commodities across the globe including crude oil, refined products, gas, power and renewables. GPTI is active in gas, power and emissions in a variety of markets across Europe and Asia Pacific, both physically and financially, and is seeking to grow significantly in Asia Pacific.
This role provides a unique opportunity to support a new and growing business for bp in this region and play an active role in bp’s shift from an international oil company to an integrated energy company. The role would be most suitable for a lawyer with strong experience in power trading and transactional matters.Key Accountabilities
- Providing full legal support in Asia Pacific on power trading and origination businesses including advising on PPAs, greenfield and brownfield financing of power and power supply and trading contracts for projects and markets across Asia Pacific.
- To be generally part of the T&S RPT legal team in the Asia Pacific region supporting bespoke transactions and its day to day trading activities. This would include advising on transaction structures and drafting and negotiating transaction documentation for complex trade financing arrangements, complex offtake and supply arrangements, M&A and JVs.
- Advising on new projects and strategic initiatives including the expansion of the business into new markets and jurisdictions.
- Handling a variety of disputes relating to trading contracts and governmental and regulatory investigations.
- Working closely with and establishing good working relationships with T&S legal colleagues in in the other regions together with bp legal specialist teams and outside counsel.
- To work confidently and effectively with business and functional stakeholders with minimal supervision, but with the judgement to promptly inform and work with the Managing Counsel, T&S – RPT EH on more complex and sensitive matters.
- Qualified to practice law in a common law jurisdiction, and ideally with 5 - 8 years post qualification experience .
- Substantial experience in power markets (both sophisticated and emerging), including drafting and negotiating bankable PPAs will be critical for this role.
- Substantial transactional experience in a top tier international law firm.
- Ability to prioritise conflicting demands, operate independently and effectively against short timelines and provide prompt and commercially focused advice.
- Excellent English language drafting skills.
- An ability to work internationally and with different cultures.
- Proven track record as an effective team player.
- Ability to build and maintain strong professional working relationships and promote networking, open communication and effective collaboration.
LegalJob Family Group
Legal GroupRelocation available
Join us and become a trusted advisor delivering legal support to the group focused on material risk, value and growth, protecting ourselves and enabling the realisation of our purpose, strategy, ambition and aims.
Together we will achieve this by:
- providing professional legal advice and counsel to the entities we support
- leading and co-ordinating the identification and management of legal risks
- developing a highly skilled, progressive and diverse legal team
- supporting the entities in the delivery of their accountabilities
- living the bp code and being role models of our values and behaviours