Job Profile Summary
Trading and Shipping (T&S) is bp's face to the traded markets in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. T&S role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. T&S has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of bp.
About The Role
The role of Commodity Risk Analyst is a key analytical and control position within the T&S Finance and Risk organization. This role is accountable for providing deep business understanding and control through the delivery of value-added reporting and analysis. This role holds the primary interface into the trading front office, balancing independence with a business enabling partnership. This position requires a deep understanding of the activities within Commodity Risk in order to meet the team’s core accountability of delivering independent market risk analytics, risk mitigation strategies, independent exposure and P&L, working capital and cash forecast, and analytics to support business insights.
- Responsible for independent, timely, globally aligned and accurate valuations of trading book position, exposure and performance data via operational oversight of day to day accountabilities of the team.
- Lead the delivery of daily and monthly control processes
- Support the validation of integrity of management information provided to Financial Accounts for the Group Accounts and financial disclosures.
- Deliver reporting and analytics that provide insight into T&S’s business activities in order to support business decision making and strengthen the control environment.
- Oversee daily marking, upload, and maintenance of curves and volatilities.
- Support month-end and quarter-end close process, in conjunction with the EH Finance Leadership, to generate timely and accurate team results for subsequent consolidation and reporting to the key leadership stakeholders.
- Independent understanding to identify/escalate and mitigate financial, operational & reputation risk related to trading book positions and exposures.
- Demonstrate leadership competencies, able to lead initiatives, influence and participates in decisions and collaborate effectively across both regional and global teams.
- Develop and leverage a deep understanding of Eastern Hemisphere Refining Product exposures, strategies and market fundamentals.
- Provide constructive challenge to trading activity to ensure it is compliant and aligned to intended trading strategy.
- Interpret existing T&S commodity risk policies and ensuring their correct application in GOEH as well as providing inputs into the definition of new policies and procedures.
- Drive continuous improvements through change in ways of working, digitalization and automation projects.
- Bachelors Degree (any discipline)
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment while working across various functions/ regions.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel.
- Ability to perform in a deadline oriented environment.
- Experience in business process re-engineering and automation skills and partnering with IT to achieve continuous improvement through deployment of emerging technologies.
- Strong understanding of key controls used to mitigate risks
- Strong analytical skills with ability to grasp and communicate complex trading transactions into their economic effects
- Ability to deploy a variety of communication styles according to the situation and communicate effectively with stakeholders and peers
- Strong desire to develop leadership capability and team player with an eagerness to learn and teach.
- Experience in Product Control, Project or Business change.
- Partnering with IT to achieve continuous improvement through deployment of emerging technologies.
- In-depth knowledge of oil trading markets and ability to clearly articulate P&L and Risk drivers.
- Knowledge of options valuation and risk management
- IT savvy and having basic understanding in market risk reporting system operations and data extraction.
- Experience/ interest in process reengineering and use of new technologies (e.g. Python, Power BI)
Job Family Group
Join us in a crucial time of transition. We are bringing all of our finance and procurement activities for the group into one place, enabling better work.
For You This Means Working With Us On
Compliance – efficiently delivering external reporting requirements to ensure we continue to meet our regulatory obligations in all jurisdictions, supported by robust control environment across all three lines of defence.
Stewardship – laying out a robust finance framework and providing ongoing management of the balance sheet and portfolio execution, supported by effective advocacy to the market.
Performance – facilitating the effective allocation of capital, development of business plans and coordination of business performance interventions to ensure a consistent delivery between strategic aspirations, operational forecasts and delivered outcomes. Furthermore, you will be responsible for value creation through mergers and acquisition-led deals, commercial negotiations and integration of business opportunities.
Transformation – driving digital transformation (centralising, digitising, optimising) across all elements of the finance entity to achieve sector-leading cost-performance.