ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Program Manager for Afghanistan will assist the Internews Afghanistan Country Team to oversee project activities and ensure effective program implementation, as well as coordinate with diverse international donors in order to support the Afghan media and journalists to safely provide public service information.
The Program Manager reports to the Afghanistan Country Director to ensure effective implementation of the Afghanistan portfolio. In coordination with the Asia regional-based support staff, the Program Manager provides managerial support as required and assists in the development of new programs.
This is a remote-first position. Our ideal candidate is based in Southeast Asia; however, remote candidates based elsewhere will also be considered. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. This position is not eligible for relocation assistance. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate's location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Provide overall program management to ensure the smooth implementation of program activities;
- Liaise with Internews' Afghanistan partners both within and outside of the country to ensure smooth implementation of the programs;
- Cultivate relationships and understanding of challenges and needs of Afghan diasporas and identify opportunities to work with the Diaspora communities effectively;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Develop and track program activity work plans for project partners;
- Design Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) plans and tools for program activities in coordination with Internews M&E team;
- Track and report on M&E of project activities;
- Liaise with program partners to oversee and support the safe implementation of activities;
- Produce weekly, monthly, or quarterly reports, or as required by donors;
- Monitor project progress, identify and address any potential problems;
- Support the development of new proposals and program assessment reports including research and coordination with Internews HQ teams;
- Coordinate with other Internews teams including the Global Tech Department and the Global Tech Hub, to ensure effective implementation of the Afghanistan programs;
- Perform high-level grants and contracts support including reviewing RFA/Ps and tracking, monitoring, and analysis of all grants and contracts in line with operational program plans;
- Write reports and proposals for donors;
- Manage logistics for travel, meetings, including procurement of visas as needed;
- Produce expense reports and prepare payment documents as needed;
- Manage administrative tasks in accordance with project timelines;
- Track budget and activities for program unit as required;
- Other duties as assigned; and
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum 5 years program management experience, preferably in the media sector
- Experience working with international donors and donor-funded programs
- Experience working within Afghanistan or with related projects, and understanding of the cultural and social context
- Good understanding of project management and M&E processes
- Relevant university degree required
- Grant proposal writing experience, and proven text-editing proficiency
- Experience in developing or supporting programs
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
- Proficiency in Dari and/or Pashto preferred but not essential
- Experience navigating a politically complex and high-risk environment preferred
- Proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Proven analytical and problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple ongoing assignments
- Proficient in MS Office