Fortify Rights works to ensure human rights for all. We investigate human rights violations, engage people with power, and strengthen the work of human rights defenders and affected communities. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals, communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit organization based in Southeast Asia and registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Human Rights Associate supports the work of Fortify Rights’ Human Rights Specialists, the technical team, and other relevant team members by providing research, logistical, and administrative assistance. They work closely with the Human Rights Specialist to monitor human rights developments, assist in the production of outputs, and coordinate Fortify Rights activities. They are also responsible for facilitating timely and accurate interpretation and translation support. The Human Rights Associate received direct support from the Regional Director and is an integral member of Fortify Rights’ growing team.
- Contribute to the planning, organization, and coordination of Fortify Rights’ work to support human rights defenders and affected communities, investigate human rights violations, engage with people in power on solutions.
- Monitor human rights developments and serve as a credible, reliable source of human rights information, both internally and externally.
- Provide research assistance to the Human Rights Specialists and other relevant team members by identifying potential candidates for interviews and collecting evidence of violations.
- Assist with preparing, drafting, editing, formatting, translation, and distributing publications, such as press releases, op-eds, briefing papers, open letters, reports, multi-media productions, web content, etc.
- Support Fortify Rights’ strategic advocacy with government officials, elected representatives, members of the diplomatic community, representatives of U.N. and other international agencies, representatives of non-governmental organizations, and other key decision-makers, influencers, and stakeholders.
- Develop positive and supportive relationships with human rights defenders, organizations, and affected communities. In collaboration with Fortify Rights’ Human Rights Specialists, identify key partners to work with on a sustained basis to strengthen local responses to human rights violations.
- In coordination with relevant team members, contribute to tailored trainings or participatory workshops, assist with research and documentation efforts, and implement other tasks to respond to the needs identified by partners.
- In coordination with the Operations Associate, provide logistical and administrative support for Fortify Rights activities. This may include assisting with the coordination of research trips, delegation visits, workshops and trainings, and other activities.
- Facilitate the timely and accurate translation of written documents including interview transcripts, publications, research material, etc. Facilitate necessary interpretation to support Fortify Rights’ activities.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ development team to contribute to fundraising and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to timely reporting through regular monitoring and reporting on project activities and support the development team in tracking and gathering data to evaluate the progress of projects.
- Work closely in collaboration with the Fortify Rights team to ensure effectiveness, scale the organization’s impact, and ensure sustainability.
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- A degree in relevant fields and/or two years’ work experience.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations in Southeast Asia.
- Familiarity with human rights issues.
- Strong creative-thinking, organization, problem-solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural communication, and experience in a multi-ethnic team.
- Sound judgment and ability to take initiative.
- Willingness to travel.
- Fluency in written and verbal English and relevant country language required. Additional language skills preferred.
To be discussed with short-listed candidates.
Compensation & Benefits
Fortify Rights seeks exceptional applicants and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
How To Apply
Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MYANMAR HUMAN RIGHTS ASSOCIATE.” This post will remain open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Fortify Rights is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants.