At Canva, we empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone on any platform. Inspired by a team of talented creatives, an amazing culture, and remarkable growth trajectory—we’re one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are hoping to do!
If you’d love to create stunning marketing creative for our award-winning mobile apps that will be seen and loved by millions of users across 190 different countries, join us! We’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
About the group and team
Canva’s Marketing & Engagement Group has a big mission to build the most loved brand in the world! Our success is shaping how we communicate and relate to our community, and guide teams internally to deliver delightful product experiences and communications.
We’re looking for a skilled graphic designer to join our Mobile Marketing team, working closely alongside our internal Creative team to help produce and launch creatives for our mobile channels (paid, organic and marketing in-product).
You’ll thrive in a fast-moving, fluid environment, and be passionate about shaping user-centric products, communications, and working with diverse groups of people across the organisation to achieve your goals. You’ll be an experienced professional who thinks strategically and is excited to roll up your sleeves and get things done. You’ll have experience in aspects of paid advertising and designing with performance in mind; from ideation, planning, designing and tracking impact. You would ideally have experience in and a passion for mobile too.
About the Role
The Graphic Designer role for Mobile Marketing will be part of a vibrant and friendly creative studio, producing engaging creatives for our iOS and Android app storefronts, product marketing and a host of other mobile-focused marketing initiatives. You’ll be contributing to growing mobile at Canva, deliver a wide variety of creative campaigns and the freedom to influence design direction.
What you will be working on..
90% of the time:
- Screenshot experiments to optimise conversion rates for Canva’s on-store placements on the App Store, Google Play and other storefronts (paid and organic), covering multiple locales. You will be a large part of the experiment hypothesis and ideation process, you will not simply be delivering on a brief.
- Our mobile products are constantly being improved and we need to keep our storefronts up to date. These ‘Store hygiene’ projects often entails producing assets at scale (multiple apps x across multiple stores x 30+ locales x phone and tablet x 10 screenshots each = thousands produced for a project)
- Promotional artwork for feature placements on the app stores. You will often have a couple of days turnaround for these in amongst everything else you’re working on, so will need to enjoy designing under pressure!
- Assets to drive increased engagement with push notifications and in-app messages (and sometimes email)
- Creative for mobile channels for seasonal or marketing campaigns. This may be screenshots, feature graphics, promotional artwork, push, etc. These will need to be cohesive and you will be working with the broader brand and marketing team on these.
10% of the time:
- We said it was a fast-paced place to work, so this part we can’t actually tell you! There are many ad hoc projects that will come up and you’ll be excited by the challenge.
About the candidate...
- 1-2+ years experience as a graphic designer, creating a diverse range of branding and advertising campaigns.
- Some experience in motion design would be a big plus!
- Good grasp of brand thinking, can easily understand the Canva visual language and tone of the brand.
- A strong portfolio or reel demonstrating your passion for graphic design, branding and advertising.
- Strong visual communication skills, layout experience from typography and colour theory which you can use effectively in producing engaging creative.
- The confidence to try new things, and a passion for big ideas and storytelling
- Good communication skills to collaborate with remote creative teams, and be able to sell ideas on creative brainstorms.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a creative team environment;
- Diligence to hit deadlines, and offer suggestions to streamline and improve team processes.
- A working knowledge in Advanced Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Basic Adobe Premiere & After Effects. Knowledge in Figma or Sketch is a bonus!
- While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes – ya gotta have hustle!
Competencies for success
- We shortlist by reviewing not just your CV but more importantly, your portfolio. Quality over quantity matters more to us - so best to show us your best and most relevant graphic design works – throw in those layouts, social media posts, and even branding projects!
- You’re a hustler! You are adaptable and can work independently juggling the delivery of design projects and producing high-quality content.
- You’re unafraid to get your hands dirty! You’re a senior designer who can give out briefs, at the same time, create high-quality designs.
What you'll love in Canva...
- Equity options in one of the fastest growing startups in the world
- Fitness membership
- In-house chef
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations